Professional Lobbying

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Professional Lobbying

Post by citizendeb on Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:02 am

I am of the belief that Professional Lobbying needs to be banished completely. While we do have a 1st Amendment right to speak, Congress can decide who and how they listen to those wishing to speak. Congress needs to decide to only listen to people who write them letters or who meet with them in their office and it should be solely their constituents. No more meetings with professional lobbyists period is what I would envision for a basic fix for our government - not on junkets, not at lunches, not playing golf, not at the race track, not in Vegas.

citizendeb

Back to top Go down

Re: Professional Lobbying

Post by admin on Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:01 am

It's not quite that simple. Groups and organization are allowed to lobby for many reasons. Unions lobby for union rights. Farmers lobby for farming legislation, etc. It's not always just big corps. Even when it is, it's not ALWAYS bad.

Lobbying is essentially used to inform the government and educate them on matters where their knowledge is limited. For example, if the government decides to subsidize corn, and hemp growers feel that hemp is more cost effective, how do they get that information to the government without lobbying? Ideally the government would call a panel of experts for every issue, but even those experts are often industry big-wigs who can't be trusted.

The system is more complex than I think any of us want to admit. To say a thing should go just because it has had unintended consequences isn't the solution.

We need to figure out how to cut to the core of the lobbying issue, not ban it all together. For example, the notion of donations or gifts is ridiculous. Those should be banned. Also, perhaps all lobbying conversations should be recorded, typed and published online without edits. Transparency is the solution in most situations.

admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BradB on Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:22 am

I look it like banks, not all banks do bad things ... only those that have lost their values ....
so we do not want to ban all banks do we?

I knew a lobbyist once, who would take the rep/s out on the town... get them drunk.. introduce them unknowingly to a hooker... and then take pictures to be used for blackmail...

but some lobbyists are above corruption and provide good service for all involved...

the problem is the same ... we need to remove the greed and corruption from the government....

BradB

Back to top Go down

Post by erinck42306 on Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:07 am

BradB wrote:I look it like banks, not all banks do bad things ... only those that have lost their values ....
so we do not want to ban all banks do we?

I knew a lobbyist once, who would take the rep/s out on the town... get them drunk.. introduce them unknowingly to a hooker... and then take pictures to be used for blackmail...

but some lobbyists are above corruption and provide good service for all involved...

the problem is the same ... we need to remove the greed and corruption from the government....

so, the questions becomes how do we get rid of the corruption without completely overturning the system? Maybe limit lobbying to certain locations? i agree that golfing and trips and whatnot are on the same level as bribes, so maybe we need to designate lobbying areas?

erinck42306

Back to top Go down

Post by BradB on Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:42 pm

focus on PUNISHING those that abuse the system, including prosecutors and judges is good start Wink

BradB

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:23 pm

I think we would have a tough time banning paid lobbyists. Banning money paid to politicians is one thing but telling people they cannot hire a representative to make a pitch for the passage of a law is going too far imo.

Michael

Back to top Go down

Post by ihave19voices on Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:57 pm

BradB wrote:focus on PUNISHING those that abuse the system, including prosecutors and judges is good start Wink

This. Make the penalties huge and scare both lobbyists and politicians that if the system is abused, there is a serious threat of jail time, as well as the politician never being able to hold a public office at any level again.

Lobbying serves a very useful purpose when within the confines of the law.

ihave19voices

Back to top Go down

Post by elCid on Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:24 am

If we *reduce* the power of government, making it smaller and less involved, then it stops being worth the millions and billions to pay for all the lobbyists.

We still need regulations, but if they are fewer, more transparent, and more streamlined, then companies can spend more money of hiring employees, and less on paying for K Street lobbyists.

elCid

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top