Preamble may be the most important to write

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Preamble may be the most important to write

Post by PDT on Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:39 am

Because it should define why we all are here doing this. It should crystallize and communicate the core philosophy we want to express. It should be concise, but clear.

I have tried my hand at this already, and I will post it as a work in progress. Please comment.-

In the course of our lives, when it becomes necessary to alter the means by which we are governed, all human beings reserve the right to control, change and affect what that government shall be. No single person, no group of individuals, may dictate to the general majority the means by which they are governed. These are the inseparable rights of the individual, and in consensus, the majority of who they make up.

They shall decide the course that government will take and no person, or smaller group of persons, will deny their cause.

We, the general public, reserve the right to hold assembly, to speak our cause, and effect necessary change, as we deem fit, through democratic action, in order to secure our natural born freedoms and natural born rights.

PDT

Back to top Go down

Re: Preamble may be the most important to write

Post by randallburns on Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:58 pm

The big suggestion I have here
whatever we come up with:
get a team of volunteers as them to poll a cross section of the american public-and ask them to describe themselves-how they feel about what is written. Try getting folks to talk to at least a couple hundred folks-that are really a cross section or something close to it.

Beyond red and blue by Pew Institute has a simple metholdology used to classify US voters. You can ask these quiestions and adjust any sample of 200 folks or so mimic a cross section.

You are right:
many folks will read nothing more of this document except the preamble-or will have it read to them over radio.

It will get spun all kinds of ways.

The success or failure of OWS depends on how well it is perceived as giving a more authentic voice to the 99%

randallburns

Back to top Go down

Preamble

Post by Alliandrina on Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:37 pm

I also agree that the preamble is going to be the most important part. It shouldn't come off as to strong in the sense that it might make people think we are overthrowing the government. Because even though we may have some issues with the way it is run- most people still like our form of government. The preamble also shouldn't come off as weak. It needs to be powerful and speak what it is we want people to know.

Alliandrina

Back to top Go down

Post by fouryawkeyway on Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:03 pm

I'd try to avoid sounding like we are forming another government. I get the impression, correct or incorrect, that OWS is a forum by which the 99 percent can address a government increasingly having a legitimacy crisis. The question is whether we can establish enough legitimacy to conduct a dialogue with the govt. through the OWS forum to address the economic crisis, & the crisis of legitimacy that is increasingly taking hold.

fouryawkeyway

http://twitter.com/FourYawkeyWay

Back to top Go down

Preamble

Post by PDT on Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:04 pm

I think we need to state our dissatisfaction with the current government. And yes, that may mean changing or altering the current government, if that government does not rectify itself. In recent history, it has not shown a willingness to do so.

"That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed" -(Declaration of Independence)

The current government does not derive its powers from the consent of the governed, and that is why we are here today.

I think we need to reinforce our democratic rights by stating exactly what that means.

For me, this is the core of our grievance. Our government has been stolen from us, and is no longer deriving its powers from the governed, but rather, those who would pay to own it. The 1%.

We are here to restore our democracy. To return power to the governed, the 99%.

PDT

Back to top Go down

Post by Spider on Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:35 pm

It should not merely crib from the Declaration of Independence & the Constitution.

The reason that they are imitated over & over again, is that it is the simple poetry of truth, readily understood by all.

Spider

Back to top Go down

Post by m.mackinsey on Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:01 am

Spider wrote:It should not merely crib from the Declaration of Independence & the Constitution.

The reason that they are imitated over & over again, is that it is the simple poetry of truth, readily understood by all.

Exactly. The right of revolution is a concept dating back to the beginnings of society and was used extensively in the drafting of our Declaration of Independence.

“That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness”

"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

The foundation is already laid out right in front of us. A history professor, constitutional lawyer, hell even a political science major would certainly come in handy for all of this.

m.mackinsey

Back to top Go down

Tweaking PDT's version, with additions

Post by Mojo on Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:05 am

In the course of time, when it becomes necessary to alter the means by which a people are governed, all human beings reserve the right to control, change and shape the nature of that government. No single person, or group of individuals, may reasonably dictate to the general majority the means by which they are governed. These are the inseparable rights of the individual, and in consensus, the majority they comprise. They shall decide the course that government will take and no person, or smaller group of persons, can rightfully deny their cause.

We affirm that, as is stated in the United States’ Declaration of Independence, “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed" (emphasis added). The current government no longer derives its powers from the consent of the governed but from the excessive and illegitimate influence of corporations that have usurped the citizenry's just power and now hold overwhelming influence over the government. We affirm what is stated in the First Amendment to the Constitution, that when aggrieved, it is the right of the people to peaceably assemble and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Therefore, We the People do hereby announce that we shall shall elect and convene a NATIONAL GENERAL ASSEMBLY beginning on July 4, 2012 in the City Of Philadelphia.

Last edited by Mojo on Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : imporant addition stating that current government is not legitimate)

Mojo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:25 pm

I like this last one by Mojo. Very nice.

Back to top Go down

Post by tomcummins on Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:33 pm

I agree with Molly, this one by Mojo is excellent.

tomcummins

Back to top Go down

Preamble I was working on before this came to light

Post by iamspartacus1776 on Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:31 pm

It is the belief of The People that governing body of The United States of America has been corrupted by domestic enemies and no longer operates under the principles established in, and protected by The Constitution of The United States of America. These malicious parties, incorporated or as individuals, have secured for themselves the process by which The People elect representatives; and in doing so have commandeered the Legislation, Execution and Judicial oversight of the laws of land. Being bestowed with the defense of our own Freedom and the peaceful means to do so, the citizens hereby demand that all funding of all public elections at the Federal, State and Municipal levels of governance be restricted as the right of human beings, and not the entities formed by them. We also demand that the influence of Legislators and Executives by lobbyists representing for-profit entities be limited to written correspondence only which is to be made immediately available to the public. Upon compliance with this demand, the restoration of the original intent of the United States Constitution will then be the sole focus of all facets of Federal Government until the array of Grievances expanded upon in the remainder of this document are considered and addressed.

iamspartacus1776

Back to top Go down

Preamble,or not..

Post by uncommonfilth on Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:45 pm

I'm pretty sure the Original has most everything we need in it...The Issue to me Has Been Incresing Disparity, and to a Greater Extent the Complacency of Me, and my fellow Citizens...Well we've sure as heck been woke the f%#4 up now haven't we...Blaming the Wealthy for what comes naturally will dissuade moderate support in my opinion..For no good reason..WE THE PEOPLE,are Responsible,and it is OUR Civic Duty to FIX IT.

uncommonfilth

Back to top Go down

Preamble 6 Purposes of Constitution

Post by livegreenordie on Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:47 am

Preamble should contain a definition that the "value" and rights of citizens supersede the rights of any particular "values" system that may attempt to impose restrictions on individual rights. Modification and clarification of individual value should be clearly defined based on Precedence. I believe this needs a new and different definition in the 99D. This should be a core foundation.

livegreenordie

http://www.twitter.com/livegreenordie

Back to top Go down

I'd go for something more like this, for a Preamble...

Post by uncommonfilth on Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:56 am

"WE THE PEOPLE, LET THE POWER, AND WEALTH OF FEW CORRUPT THE PRESENT AND FUTURE FOR MANY, WE THE PEOPLE ARE TO BLAME, WE THE PEOPLE ARE OBLIGED BY OUR CIVIC DUTY TO REMEDY OUR FAILURES, AND WE THE PEOPLE SHALL, WITH GREAT HASTE!!!"

uncommonfilth

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Steel on Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:08 am

fouryawkeyway wrote:I'd try to avoid sounding like we are forming another government.

We may want to avoid sounding like we're forming another government but another government very well may be what we need. We are, after all, in our current predicament because the government we have let it happen.

Joe Steel

http://thejoesteelblog.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum