Concerns & Potential Problems

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Concerns & Potential Problems

Post by Spider on Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:15 am

I don't want to be labeled as a critic, but in thinking of the recent announcement for a Convention I can't help to be concerned. Capturing the zeitgeist borne of the innumerable frustrations of the underclass is difficult enough. Organizing it effectively as a potent tool for social change is another thing entirely. I, and I imagine many of you, don't want to see it bled away, or squandered or marshaled for ineffective or petty reasons.

So I ask you, what is the best possible way to go about this?

Already, I have some particular concerns:

1) Maintaining a heightened level of engagement & interest.

Now it is novel and still capturing headlines. Will it be so in a months time, or two or three? Or will the novelty diminish and vanish as time goes on? The Occupy movement is similar to the Anonymous protests of Scientology a few years back in that it was a grassroots backlash to injustice. However, where is that movement now? True, the concerns of the Occupy Wall Street crowd are more painful and universally felt, but can we maintain this momentum? What do we need to do to maintain it?

2) Ideology v.s. Actuality

Your strengths are your weaknesses. And as much as I like the left, they have a shit time of actually getting anything done. Mostly, this is due to the deference to the opinions of the entire group. Which bogs down the process until it's an ineffectual rule by committee and nothing gets done. Already fractures are forming along the "You don't speak for me." axis. So the difficulty becomes how do you build a consensus? How do you get 800 plus people to agree?

3) Ego & Ambition

Any new movement is going to interest people with ambition, and any successes gained are going to feed the human ego. I've encountered this, and I'm sure the announcement of Delegates is only going to stir ambitions further. So how do you ensure that the Delegates are the best people for the job and not in it for their own self-interest?

I don't want to be a killjoy, but i believe it better to examine our flaws honestly, openly and now, as opposed to contending with larger problems further on down the road.

Spider

Back to top Go down

Since I consider myself the most Conservative/Liberal I know..I'll add..

Post by uncommonfilth on Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:00 pm

[quote="Spider"]I don't want to be labeled as a critic, but in thinking of the recent announcement for a Convention I can't help to be concerned. Capturing the zeitgeist borne of the innumerable frustrations of the underclass is difficult enough. Organizing it effectively as a potent tool for social change is another thing entirely. I, and I imagine many of you, don't want to see it bled away, or squandered or marshaled for ineffective or petty reasons.

So I ask you, what is the best possible way to go about this?

Already, I have some particular concerns:

1) Maintaining a heightened level of engagement & interest.

Now it is novel and still capturing headlines. Will it be so in a months time, or two or three? Or will the novelty diminish and vanish as time goes on? The Occupy movement is similar to the Anonymous protests of Scientology a few years back in that it was a grassroots backlash to injustice. However, where is that movement now? True, the concerns of the Occupy Wall Street crowd are more painful and universally felt, but can we maintain this momentum? What do we need to do to maintain it?

2) Ideology v.s. Actuality

Your strengths are your weaknesses. And as much as I like the left, they have a shit time of actually getting anything done. Mostly, this is due to the deference to the opinions of the entire group. Which bogs down the process until it's an ineffectual rule by committee and nothing gets done. Already fractures are forming along the "You don't speak for me." axis. So the difficulty becomes how do you build a consensus? How do you get 800 plus people to agree?

3) Ego & Ambition

Any new movement is going to interest people with ambition, and any successes gained are going to feed the human ego. I've encountered this, and I'm sure the announcement of Delegates is only going to stir ambitions further. So how do you ensure that the Delegates are the best people for the job and not in it for their own self-interest?

I don't want to be a killjoy, but i believe it better to examine our flaws honestly, openly and now, as opposed to contending with larger problems further on down the road.

[/quot

I think this is VERY Important, to be able to identify our shortcomings, and adapt accordingly is the most Important advantage the left has, if it just, wasn't like 'Herding Cats', to get them to focus, unite, and agree on a simple and achievable goal,this would be much easier.

But as Evidenced here, Most ppl left of center are certain that their ideas/priorities are more valid than anyone else's.
Myself, included. And that's why it's so important to be able to Identify these as Openly as possible.

uncommonfilth

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum