Chucky?!

Post by PDT on Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:02 am

javascript:emoticonp('Razz')

I used an actual picture! Thats funny.

PDT

Back to top Go down

Re: The 99 Logo

Post by kefranklin on Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:07 am

A picture of Madoff under "house arrest" at his mansion! That might motivate people! Or Enron execs mocking a homeless man. That kind of thing. Topical, current. Or did we want simple, like the silhouette?

kefranklin

Back to top Go down

Re: Turkey

Post by PDT on Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:13 am

I thought it was our national bird. What would Thanksgiving be without it?

Re: Franklin

Man of many talents. Working class hero.

Re: Eagles

Ain't going to the Super Bowl this year, that's for sure.

PDT

Back to top Go down

Post by astramari on Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:41 am

Partial to horses, myself. Majestic, much better than an 'ass', more agile than an elephant and VERY American, I think.

astramari

Back to top Go down

The Turkey is Delicious...

Post by astramari on Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:44 am

And, while I agree with you in sentiment...I can't eat our National Bird for Thanksgiving. Bald Eagle does not look scrumptious stuffed with croutons...

But, it wasn't dumb, at all.

How bout the American Flag in the shape of the Liberty Bell?

kefranklin wrote:Dumb idea, tossing it out there though.

Someone stated they liked Ben Franklin as our patron saint? Well Franklin wanted the Turkey to be our national bird. It's a real fighter and it's common (as in common man).

Of course critics will have a field day with it, which might be why Franklins idea wasn't adopted. But still, it is a symbol of every-man in its way.

TRIVIA TIME

Franklin's Letter to His Daughter (excerpt)

"For my own part I wish the Bald Eagle had not been chosen the Representative of our Country. He is a Bird of bad moral Character. He does not get his Living honestly. You may have seen him perched on some dead Tree near the River, where, too lazy to fish for himself, he watches the Labour of the Fishing Hawk; and when that diligent Bird has at length taken a Fish, and is bearing it to his Nest for the Support of his Mate and young Ones, the Bald Eagle pursues him and takes it from him.

"With all this Injustice, he is never in good Case but like those among Men who live by Sharping & Robbing he is generally poor and often very lousy. Besides he is a rank Coward: The little King Bird not bigger than a Sparrow attacks him boldly and drives him out of the District. He is therefore by no means a proper Emblem for the brave and honest Cincinnati of America who have driven all the King birds from our Country...

"I am on this account not displeased that the Figure is not known as a Bald Eagle, but looks more like a Turkey. For the Truth the Turkey is in Comparison a much more respectable Bird, and withal a true original Native of America... He is besides, though a little vain & silly, a Bird of Courage, and would not hesitate to attack a Grenadier of the British Guards who should presume to invade his Farm Yard with a red Coat on."

astramari

Back to top Go down

LOL, don't HATE...

Post by astramari on Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:46 am

I don't want to post from my work pc and this apple is kicking my ass.

I posted to Ken about using the American Flag in the shape of the Liberty Bell, how does that grab you? And, no, I don't have a picture, but I bet you have a GREAT imagination and with your unparalleled graphic skills, you could come up with something representative... Wink

PDT wrote:javascript:emoticonp('Razz')

I used an actual picture! Thats funny.

astramari

Back to top Go down

Post by kefranklin on Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:14 pm

I know its not colonial, but a bridge! Someone mentioned building bridges in a post and it hit a light bulb in me. An outline of the US spanned by a bridge. A clever graphic artist could possible make the bridge be a stylized 99. Bridging America!! It sets the perfect tone of unity.

Colonial is nice, but we aren't a history club, we are forging a future.

Edited to Add:

Someone said it should be the Brooklyn Bridge. (And for a large version, maybe a little liberty bell hidden in it.)

kefranklin

Back to top Go down

Re: Bridge

Post by PDT on Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:16 pm

We do have the Benjamin Franklin Bridge here in Philly. Beautiful bridge it is. I'll try to post some pictures.

We also have the Walt Whitman Bridge for all you poetry fans.

-Paul

PDT

Back to top Go down

A Flag

Post by Jenye on Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:40 pm

If there are no objections, I would like to propose a flag.

I see for a flag a jet black field with a circle of 13 stars. The stars, of course, represent the original 13 colonies which created the constitution. They HATED corporations .. and bankers had the kind of respect that most people would wipe from the bottom of their shoes.

The black field, of course, represents the darkness which we oppose. The corporate media which keeps us in the dark, the bankers who use lies and subterfuge to hustle complex loan agreements that even a team of expert lawyers would have trouble wading through. The darkness of the spirit , which has been caused by too many needless death's, too many uneducated students, too many sick and elderly that are not cared for. All to protect the profits of corporations which pay NOTHING in income tax.

In the center of the field of stars, I should like to propose a simple symbol. One which looks the same regardless of whether the flag is held vertically or horizontally. There are a few symbols which can achieve this... the circle, the plus sign, the pentagram, the disk.

I propose that in the center of that field of 13 stars we place the image of a large orb, to symbolize that we stand together in the light of truth...and we bring a very bright light to shine on the corruption that has destroyed the country we love.

The idea for this flag is simple. It carries no slogan's or parts of slogans...yet its meaning has the chance of striking fear into the hearts of the 1%...fear which may very well translate into positive action.

The beauty of this flag, of course, is that it can easily be placed on black t shirts and worn in protests when the weather permits.

At other times, the flag can be placed on mugs, mouse pads, hats and aprons... and we can use cafe press to make them...with all proceeds going to help the movement. (unless somebody can make them themselves for a cheaper price?)

Lets face it...sooner or later we will have to raise money... and getting the idea of a simple design into the public consciousness is a grand way to do it. With all the thousands marching and protesting, the sudden appearance of signs and such which carry this symbol...of a black field with 13 white stars surrounding a white sun (I chose black because its the cheapest color and templates can be easily made ... just need some large stick on stars ...which anyone can get cheap from a craft store, a round lid or other surface to block the paint ...and a can of black spray paint...viola...you've got a sign. Total cost : maybe $5 Thats assuming you don't have any wood or cardboard laying about.

This is just a suggestion. Maybe you guys want to go in another direction. Me? I like going with simple images, as I have found them to be far more powerful than slogans. The reason is... if enough people are carrying the symbol, the media will want to know what it means.

This creates a marvelous opportunity to talk about how the original framers of the constitution fought for liberty and justice for all, but this government has drifted away from it...all in order to create a situation where the corporations and the bankers and the rich get the gold mine...and the rest of us get the shaft.

At that point, you are already well into an interview...and can go on to talk about the issues you care about...healthcare, education, energy, the environment...whatever you like. All that is needed is to remember that the theme of whatever you say should be that liberty and justice for all no longer exists...and it can't exist as long as there is a class system in america.

QED... you've just gotten the message out... and it was THEIR idea to interview you, wasn't it ???
Or was it ?? Smile

You see the power of symbols ?

Jennifer Warren

PDT wrote:Not sure it does it for me. I think because it is an image of George Washington. I know he was the first president, and the first military leader, but I'd rather have an image that doesn't conjure up either of those. As I stated elsewhere, I like Benjamin Franklin. If we use a person, I'd rather it be him. We could also maybe use an image of the Liberty Bell or something. Anybody else have thoughts on this?

Jenye

https://www.facebook.com/howlingpost

Back to top Go down

Please, no dead guys

Post by nobud on Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:35 am

There are racial implications for using dead Caucasian guys in logos, in my opinion.

nobud

Back to top Go down

Agreed

Post by Jenye on Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:06 am

Thats why the use of a simple symbol is better.

Teri Bidwell wrote:There are racial implications for using dead Caucasian guys in logos, in my opinion.

Jenye

Back to top Go down

GEORGE WASHINGTON-TOWN DESTROYER

Post by Unity on Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:21 am

From the website of the Native people who practice the oldest living democracy from which the US constitution "borrowed":

"The Onondaga and all of the Haudenosaunee saw the colonists grow and unite to become a new government called the United States of America. Their first President was George Washington. In the late 1700's, the Haudenosaunee stood in the way of westward expansion of the new Republic. Therefore, he ordered the termination of the Haudenosaunee and sent General Sullivan on a campaign to do so.

In 1778, General Sullivan burned our villages and crops (corn fields took 3 days to completely destroy). The Haudenosaunee took notice of the new President's actions. Before the Haudenosaunee took action against the villages of the United States, George Washington was given a name. That name is Hanadagywus. Hanadagywus translates to, "Town destroyer." Since that day, the Haudenosaunee have referred to the President of the United States as Hanadagywas."

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Unity

Back to top Go down

Another possibility

Post by Ramon on Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:25 pm

All interesting suggestions! Thinking of a black background made me go to the famous Apollo 11 shot of Gaia from space. Using the whole planet as the symbol emphasizes the global awakening that's occurring. By turning the image almost 180 degrees, the cloud swirls suggested a number 9. I added our parent star because that's where our future lies. Here is a first draft.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Ramon

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenye on Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:42 pm

Its pretty good...except for one thing...the "99" isn't clear when the flag is on its side. One of the key aspects of heraldry is that all elements should be clear whether a flag is displayed vertically or horizontally. Additionally, while the picture is quite nice, it too changes when it lays on its side. As for the solar flare, elements other than the dominant element are, in heraldic design, placed in the upper left hand corner...which places them closest to the pole and thus reduces the chance of them touching the ground when a flag is taken down.

Heraldric design uses all solid colors and geometric shapes. I do like the idea of the sun in the center, tho I'm not a fan of using a lot of colors. I like things to be very clearly seen and understood from a long way off. I want people to know who we are well in advance of our arrival.

This is why my suggestion for a flag was so basic. So stark. Using only black and white as colors...because there is no question about whether or not what we want falls in some "Gray" area. The large white disk? The Symbol of the sun... which shines on everyone...And its light is the light of truth...for we speak the truth. If you would like to put a slogan on a t shirt, it can be easily done... just make the t'shirt black, slap a white disk over the pocket...and put your slogan on the back. We are the 99! I vote ! Where's the pizza? Whatever.

Simplicity is the best...but we also need to draw people in...and make them ask "What does this mean?"...because it is only then that we can establish a dialog...and before you know it... you've got more people on your side...helping the movement in any way they can.

And this should be our goal with a flag...to grow the movement.

Jennifer Warren

Ramon wrote:All interesting suggestions! Thinking of a black background made me go to the famous Apollo 11 shot of Gaia from space. Using the whole planet as the symbol emphasizes the global awakening that's occurring. By turning the image almost 180 degrees, the cloud swirls suggested a number 9. I added our parent star because that's where our future lies. Here is a first draft.

Jenye

Back to top Go down

As seen on teh internets:

Post by 43north on Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:32 pm

A "non dead white guy" logo: (I've no connection to the website or retailer)

43north

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top