The 99 Logo

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The 99 Logo

Post by Alex on Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:52 pm

Personally I believe the 99 Logo should be representative of THE 99%. Which is actually a global statistic, I believe the actual American statistic is closer to 85%....
Too much Americana in symbolism will lead people outside of the USA to believe we don't care less about them. It should be a nation neutral thing.
It can also be interpreted as Americans forcing their leadership onto others.. A trait which I'm sure most in this movement if not all is something that we would wish to change.... Past experience of this practice hasn't actually resulted in any great results.

Alex

Posts: 13
Join date: 2011-10-23
Age: 58
Location: France

Back to top Go down

Thirteen Stars

Post by Joe Steel on Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:11 pm

I think what we are trying to do was anticipated by the Founders:

...the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances

They empowered us to do it and we should recognize that right with our logo. We might think of using the thirteen stars of the first flag as a symbol of our devotion to first principles.

Joe Steel

Posts: 155
Join date: 2011-10-19
Age: 65
Location: MO-01 Westport

http://thejoesteelblog.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The 99 Logo

Post by Alex on Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:35 pm

Joe Steel wrote:I think what we are trying to do was anticipated by the Founders:

...the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances

They empowered us to do it and we should recognize that right with our logo. We might think of using the thirteen stars of the first flag as a symbol of our devotion to first principles.

Again... Americana !! It's a global struggle and you guys didn't invent either this movement nor democracy....

Alex

Posts: 13
Join date: 2011-10-23
Age: 58
Location: France

Back to top Go down

99 and nothing else

Post by PDT on Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:57 pm

How bout we just use the number 99 and nothing else? I think that pretty much says it all.

PDT

Posts: 169
Join date: 2011-10-19
Age: 53
Location: PA-02

Back to top Go down

Re: The 99 Logo

Post by Alex on Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:00 pm

PDT wrote:How bout we just use the number 99 and nothing else? I think that pretty much says it all.

I'd go with that.... In some sort of shield, the globe or whatever background.... Very universal and impossible to pin down yo a single nation......

Alex

Posts: 13
Join date: 2011-10-23
Age: 58
Location: France

Back to top Go down

SLAVES UNDER GEORGE WASHINGTON'S HOUSE

Post by Unity on Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:08 pm

The current logo of the nation's first president -(known as "Town Destroyer" by the Native founders of democracy on this continent) clearly needs to change. Why all the obsession with colonial references? Colonial=slavery. Colonial=oppression of women.

I extend my hand to all here who are interested in moving forward with human evolution, beginning with the acknowledgment that racism is at the heart of the economic system built on stolen land with stolen people, some of whom were forced to dwell under the home of the United State's first president...how much more clear can it be that we in this time are being asked to confront the horrific realities that have brought us to this moment and move together, united in truth telling and justice FOR ALL?

PHILADELPHIA — Archaeologists unearthing the remains of George Washington's presidential home have discovered a hidden passageway used by his nine slaves, raising questions about whether the ruins should be incorporated into a new exhibit at the site.

The underground passageway is just steps from the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall. It was designed so Washington's guests would not see slaves as they slipped in and out of the main house. "As you enter the heaven of liberty, you literally have to cross the hell of slavery," said Michael Coard, a Philadelphia attorney who leads a group that worked to have slavery recognized at the site. "That's the contrast, that's the contradiction, that's the hypocrisy. But that's also the truth."

Washington lived and conducted presidential business at the house in the 1790s, when Philadelphia was the nation's capital. Quandary for exhibit planners The findings have created a quandary for National Park Service and city officials planning an exhibit at the house.

They are now trying to decide whether to incorporate the remains into the exhibit or go forward with plans to fill in the ruins and build an abstract display about life in the house. Making that decision will push back the building of the exhibit, which had been slated to open in 2009.

But the oversight committee won't rush into construction, said Joyce Wilkerson, the mayor's chief of staff. "We never thought we'd be faced with this kind of decision," she said. "We would've been happy to have found a pipe! And so we don't want to proceed blindly or say, 'This isn't in the plan.'" Rep. Bob Brady, D-Pa., was so moved when he visited the site last week that he declared: "We need to rethink what we're doing here." "It's astounding, absolutely astounding," Brady said. "I'm going to fight to keep it open, I'll tell you that much." More discoveries than expected Aside from the passageway, archaeologists have uncovered remnants of a bow window, an architectural precursor to the White House's Oval Office, and a large basement that was never noted in historic records.

"We actually found a lot more of the remains of the President's House than anyone expected. Myself included," said Jed Levin, an archaeologist with the National Park Service. Thousands of visitors have been drawn to the ruins, standing on a small wooden platform to gaze down at the house's brick and stone foundation. The public response spurred officials to continue the excavation until at least July 4; it began in March and had been scheduled to end last month. Archaeologists have served as guides, answering visitors' questions.

Cheryl LaRoche, a cultural heritage specialist, said she enjoys educating people about how even a prominent statesman like Washington could own slaves. "We've been striving to present a balanced view of history that stands apart from what's been taught in history books," LaRoche said. Most of Washington’s slaves lived at his Mount Vernon estate in Virginia. When Washington died in 1799, he had more than 300 slaves. In his will, he arranged for them to be freed after the death of his wife. Change of plans?

Before the ruins were unearthed, officials had planned an exhibit without archaeological findings. The planned design included a framework of the house, LED screens and other audiovisual elements explaining its history, including stories of Washington's slaves. The remains would crumble if left unprotected.

If the design included elevators, ramps or stairs to move visitors down into the newly dug ruins, costs would increase significantly. Coard said he is confident the oversight committee will find the best way to tell the slaves' stories. "Everybody's on board in terms of seriously considering incorporating the architectural dig into the design," Coard said. "The question now is: Is it doable? Nobody is saying, 'No, it shouldn't be done.'" David Orr, an anthropology professor at Temple University, has visited the site at least four times. He posted a note on the President's House Web site urging officials to keep the ruins on display.

"It's just fantastic," Orr said. "I can't tell you enough how exciting it is. For years and years and years I've been trying to promote that kind of public archaeology.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Unity

Posts: 15
Join date: 2011-10-20

Back to top Go down

Re: The 99 Logo

Post by Alex on Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:15 pm

Unity wrote:The current logo of the nation's first president -(known as "Town Destroyer" by the Native founders of democracy on this continent) clearly needs to change. Why all the obsession with colonial references? Colonial=slavery. Colonial=oppression of women.

I extend my hand to all here who are interested in moving forward with human evolution, beginning with the acknowledgment that racism is at the heart of the economic system built on stolen land with stolen people, some of whom were forced to dwell under the home of the United State's first president...how much more clear can it be that we in this time are being asked to confront the horrific realities that have brought us to this moment and move together, united in truth telling and justice FOR ALL?

I extend mine in return.................... Well said...

Alex

Posts: 13
Join date: 2011-10-23
Age: 58
Location: France

Back to top Go down

ONE HEART

Post by Unity on Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:44 pm

I extend mine in return.................... Well said...[/quote]

Please consider it taken and embraced softly in the Native way. Peace through Solidarity Brother!

"We are instructed to carry love for one another,
And to show great respect for all beings of the earth.
We must stand together, the four sacred colors of man,
as the one family that we are,
in the interest of peace....
Our energy is the combined will of all the people
With the spirit of the natural world,
To be of one body, one heart, and one mind."

Chief Leon Shenandoah (Onondaga)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Unity

Posts: 15
Join date: 2011-10-20

Back to top Go down

Presentation of American Grievances

Post by Joe Steel on Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:49 am

Alex wrote:
Joe Steel wrote:I think what we are trying to do was anticipated by the Founders:

...the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances

They empowered us to do it and we should recognize that right with our logo. We might think of using the thirteen stars of the first flag as a symbol of our devotion to first principles.

Again... Americana !! It's a global struggle and you guys didn't invent either this movement nor democracy....

Perhaps not but this group is working toward an assembly of Americans and presentation of their grievances.

Joe Steel

Posts: 155
Join date: 2011-10-19
Age: 65
Location: MO-01 Westport

http://thejoesteelblog.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The 99 Logo

Post by Alex on Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:09 am

Joe Steel wrote:

Perhaps not but this group is working toward an assembly of Americans and presentation of their grievances.


I may be reading that comment wrongly, but if you want to solely build solutions for America then something needs to be said to this effect on the home page.
Also the number 99 would need to be changed to represent the American figure which I believe is closer to 85%.
This type of insular thinking has been a major contributor to the problems that have driven us to this situation in the first place. I find it very disheartening that this type of thinking towards a global problem is even voiced....

Alex

Posts: 13
Join date: 2011-10-23
Age: 58
Location: France

Back to top Go down

Alex - the Title below the logo reads:

Post by 43north on Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:59 am

The Proposed National General Assembly.

While I do not live in France, it is my understanding that France looks for French solutions to French problems first and foremost.
Like France, America has some real issues, that require a home-grown solution.

No matter how I may feel France should deal with issues of poverty, immigration, pollution, political corruption, etc..., until the situation in the United States has been corrected, I would be hypocritical to criticize France, or to offer a solution.

Your people, press and your politicians would say:
"Look at your prisons American, tell me where there's justice! Look at your cities American, tell me where there's no poverty! Look at your politicians American, tell me there's no corruption!
Ferme la bouche American, ferme la bouche! N'est-ce pa?

43north

Posts: 12
Join date: 2011-10-21
Location: NH-1, ME-1 depending on the day

Back to top Go down

Logo suggestion

Post by Priyanshu on Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:21 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Here is something I made

Priyanshu

Posts: 4
Join date: 2011-10-19
Age: 50
Location: Miami

http://adathakkar.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The 99 Logo

Post by DJequalityNash on Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:53 am

I agree with Alex that we shouldn't choose anything too blatantly American. That said, I'm not opposed to the Liberty Bell, and I think as mentioned its history and meaning apply to more than just America. If not the bell, some other symbol of the common struggle of the people for equal liberty, not TOO specific to any one country or culture. I definitely agree, Washington has got to go. If we end up using the 99% in the logo, please include the % sign.

I'd like to add that while there is obviously still issues of race, I don't think race symbolizes this movement, or merits a strong place in the symbolism of our logo. This is about the common people's struggle against entrenched power. The quest for liberty, equality and justice for all, although I did not mean for that to sound so America-centric.

Yes, race needs to be addressed, but it is not at the core of our problems, this is the classic age old struggle of the powerful against the powerless, and during those eons all races have likely played the slavemaster. It was never about race, it was always about greed and economics. Race just made them more easily enslavible.

I would not however be averse to multi-colored fists thrust up in front of the Liberty Bell, or some other more universal symbol for liberty/equality/justice. The statue of liberty doesn't work, imo, too American, too much about immigration. The peace sign is too specific. I like the global aspect, but at the same time we're not working on the legislative cabinets of other countries, just America.

Multi-colored fists thrust upwards in front of a globe turned to show North America across the front, and maybe just like a simple name printed in block letters across the top. Personally I'd prefer 'People's Delegation' to the 99 delegation or 99% delegation, but not sure if that is even up for debate. 'American People's Delegation' or something like that. The multi-colored fists indicate a rising up of the unified masses. The main symbols here being unity and rising up, in America, for the global fight. Our name across the top brands us. I still dont really care for the 99% delegation, however, I'd like to see us come up with something better than that. Reminds me too much of Lysol and Ivory soap.

Don't know, but glad to see you guys are working on it! Keep the ideas coming and prepare your artistic submissions, i'm sure we'll vote on it in time.





Last edited by DJequalityNash on Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

DJequalityNash

Posts: 96
Join date: 2011-10-18
Location: GA-11 Cartersville

http://bythepeople-forthepeople.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The 99 Logo

Post by Alex on Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:26 pm

43north wrote:The Proposed National General Assembly.

While I do not live in France, it is my understanding that France looks for French solutions to French problems first and foremost.
Like France, America has some real issues, that require a home-grown solution.

No matter how I may feel France should deal with issues of poverty, immigration, pollution, political corruption, etc..., until the situation in the United States has been corrected, I would be hypocritical to criticize France, or to offer a solution.

Your people, press and your politicians would say:
"Look at your prisons American, tell me where there's justice! Look at your cities American, tell me where there's no poverty! Look at your politicians American, tell me there's no corruption!
Ferme la bouche American, ferme la bouche! N'est-ce pa?

Actually no I don't think my people would say that at all.... My 'people' as you put it are by birth are the Brits. and whilst some stupid french politician may have told America to close it's mouth I very much doubt he/she was speaking for the people....

I also wasn't aware that the 99%/Occupy movements were about sorting out domestic policy, I'm part of it because I believe the problems we are facing now are global. Close your mind to the rest of the world if it currently suits you at this moment in time but a narrow minded nationalistic view like yours is no help to our situation at all. Your attitude disgusts me and I question your right to even be a member of this forum.

Alex

Posts: 13
Join date: 2011-10-23
Age: 58
Location: France

Back to top Go down

Re: The 99 Logo

Post by Joe Steel on Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:00 pm

Alex wrote:
Joe Steel wrote:

Perhaps not but this group is working toward an assembly of Americans and presentation of their grievances.

I may be reading that comment wrongly, but if you want to solely build solutions for America then something needs to be said to this effect on the home page.
America is so far behind the rest of the industrialized world, I don't think we can afford to concentrate on any but our own problems. Health care for instance; France has national health care. America doesn't. We have to include that in the Declaration of Grievances. Would you be willing to devote time to discussing it?

Joe Steel

Posts: 155
Join date: 2011-10-19
Age: 65
Location: MO-01 Westport

http://thejoesteelblog.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum