The 99% Delegation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unifying local OWS solidarity groups behind the 99% action plan

+2
NineStripes
oregonstu
6 posters

Go down

Unifying local OWS solidarity groups behind the 99% action plan Empty Unifying local OWS solidarity groups behind the 99% action plan

Post by oregonstu Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:09 pm

I wanted to talk to everybody about trying to open lines of communication with local OWS solidarity groups in cities all over the US, and encourage the establishment of liaison links between local groups within states, with the aim of creating state umbrella groups that are (hopefully) wired into the action plan for the convention in Philadelphia.

Right now we are a mishmash agglomeration of hundreds of local groups that are all working simultaneously on our own versions of a list of grievances to be redressed, with no way to reconcile the differences between these hundreds of disparate lists once they are completed. We need to start trying to get this whole movement linked together, communicating between groups, and supporting the action plan before the election of delegates for the convention, or we will almost certainly end up with little participation in the election and little credibility for the convention even within the OWS movement, let alone the rest of the country. We need to have the OWS solidarity groups supporting this action plan if it is going to fly, and this isn't going to happen without a lot of organizing and concerted effort on the part of many people.

My proposal, then, is that the 99% work group form a new committee devoted to communication and liaison with individual OWS solidarity groups everywhere in the US. A second aspect, which could be linked to this committee or placed in the care of another new committee, would be to encourage all groups in every state to form umbrella groups that can help organize the election of delegates.

oregonstu

Back to top Go down

Unifying local OWS solidarity groups behind the 99% action plan Empty Re: Unifying local OWS solidarity groups behind the 99% action plan

Post by NineStripes Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:02 pm

oregonstu wrote:

I wanted to talk to everybody about trying to open lines of communication with local OWS solidarity groups in cities all over the US, and encourage the establishment of liaison links between local groups within states, with the aim of creating state umbrella groups that are (hopefully) wired into the action plan for the convention in Philadelphia.

Right now we are a mishmash agglomeration of hundreds of local groups that are all working simultaneously on our own versions of a list of grievances to be redressed, with no way to reconcile the differences between these hundreds of disparate lists once they are completed. We need to start trying to get this whole movement linked together, communicating between groups, and supporting the action plan before the election of delegates for the convention, or we will almost certainly end up with little participation in the election and little credibility for the convention even within the OWS movement, let alone the rest of the country. We need to have the OWS solidarity groups supporting this action plan if it is going to fly, and this isn't going to happen without a lot of organizing and concerted effort on the part of many people.

My proposal, then, is that the 99% work group form a new committee devoted to communication and liaison with individual OWS solidarity groups everywhere in the US. A second aspect, which could be linked to this committee or placed in the care of another new committee, would be to encourage all groups in every state to form umbrella groups that can help organize the election of delegates.

I couldn't agree more. I have already started communicating with the Occupy Philly group on Facebook and shared information about the declaration with them.
NineStripes
NineStripes

Back to top Go down

Unifying local OWS solidarity groups behind the 99% action plan Empty Re: Unifying local OWS solidarity groups behind the 99% action plan

Post by Guest Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:11 pm

You guys rock! I'm moving this topic to Outreach/Occupy Groups.

Back to top Go down

Post by brit0310 Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:05 pm

Awesome idea!
I'll start reaching out to obtain contacts with Occupy groups in North Florida and South Georgia. If noone chimes in about South Florida, I'll reach out there also. And please don't anyone think because one person has mentioned an area, others can't help in same area. We would want a minimum of two people per area and the more the better.

Should we think about group email addresses? We could provide a group email address to various Occupy groups in our area. And any emails sent to the group address would automatically send email to all members in group.

brit0310

Back to top Go down

Post by brit0310 Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:31 pm

One thing we need to be careful about when contacting Occupy groups is to have a consistent message. At some point the Public Relations group would take care of this for us, but right now they are just beginning to get organized so I'll go ahead and put minimal talking points here for review.

I'm just starting to research now and I wanted to post a comment regarding what I was doing. Please wait a little and hopefully I'll have something constructive to discuss within the next 2 hours.

brit0310

Back to top Go down

Post by brit0310 Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:25 pm

I have written a draft set of talking points for reaching out to local GAs. I plan to read this text at the Jacksonville GA on Saturday. Please review this document and provide improvements. I'm not attached to anything written here and mainly want to ensure the talking points are clear and accurate.

Who are we?
We are the 99% Declaration forum. Our goal is to unite all US Occupy GAs for the purpose of convening a national general assembly on July 4, 2012. The national general assembly will be endorsed by all GAs and will ratify a petition of grievances to be presented to the President, Congress and the Supreme Court. Our goal of completing the assembly endorsement before the 2012 presidential election necessitates our providing a useful draft of the petition beforehand. We are focused on rigorous debate of this draft using General Assembly guidelines on a web-based forum. We are planning to fine-tune this draft, and when consensus has been achieved, will present the draft to all local Occupy movements for additional review. We stresss we must move quickly as there are few days between today and the 2012 election.

What is our history?
Last October, 5 college students arrested on the Brooklyn Bridge, answered their lawyer's question, "What do you want out of this movement?. We want The 99% Declaration. The lawyer futilely championed the Declaration at the New York City General Assembly (OWS NYCGA) but higher priorities of food and park survival occupied the Occupiers. Seeking an audience in a Yahoo group, the lawyer put The 99% Declaration online. Enthusiastic response exploded into thousands of emails per day and one astute and technically savvy reader created the 99% Declaration forum for robust peer review.

Currently, we are independent of Occupy Wall Street (OWS) and NYCGA. The forum of draft reviewers has grown considerably including people from US, Canada, Norway, France, Singapore, Germany and many other disparate locales. All are welcome and all are encouraged to help shape who we are and move us forward.

Why are we contacting local GAs?
Although we are at an early stage regarding the review of the draft, we feel it is important to reach out to all
local GAs and establish formal contact and liaison. We want to use this liaison to keep all GAs informed of our activities and to receive guidance regarding the best way to achieve our goals, the goals of the 99%. Our forum, like all GAs, has open membership for the 99%. If anyone wants to directly participate in the current review of the draft, we encourage them to join our forum.

EDIT: Revised History

brit0310

Back to top Go down

Post by brit0310 Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:25 am

I'm not getting much feedback here and I've joined forum too recently to think I've hit the nail on the head with this. Can we put these talking points to a vote with a 1 day deadline to close?

brit0310

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Steel Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:52 am

brit0310 wrote:I'm not getting much feedback here...
I've noticed that. Seems everyone's talks and no one listens.
Joe Steel
Joe Steel

http://thejoesteelblog.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Steel Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:57 am

brit0310 wrote:We are the 99% Declaration forum. Our goal is to unite all US Occupy GAs for the purpose of convening a national general assembly on July 4, 2012.
I don't know that the unification of all US Occupy GAs is part of the goal. I don't think we need them and, more importantly, I don't think we can rely on them. They are likely to disband and disperse when the weather turns bad. What will we do then?

Secondly, the Occupy GAs represent only that part of the American People who want to occupy public spaces. What about all the rest of us? Are our opinions not worthy of consideration?
Joe Steel
Joe Steel

http://thejoesteelblog.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SeanOccupyNorthCounty Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:50 am

In Southern California, I have already begun the process of unifying the disparate occupy groups into a single "virtual general assembly" which contains a committee for the 99% Declaration. The working group being accessible to all occupies in San Diego County and now working to include Orange County and Los Angeles.

I used Facebook groups to build the collection of committees and it's working rather well.
SeanOccupyNorthCounty
SeanOccupyNorthCounty

Back to top Go down

Post by brit0310 Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:58 pm

Sean,
Thanks for your efforts of unification. A member of a unification group spoke in Soapbox at Occupy Jax Saturday. There are many who serve to divide us and this forum is testament to that fact. The Occupy movement provides a solid foundation using the General Assembly procedures for organization. Those using this foundation will succeed. Those denying this foundation will fail.

brit0310

Back to top Go down

Post by oregonstu Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:11 pm

Hey Brit,
Sorry about the long delay in replying to your posts, I was gone for a while. Your idea of a group e mail address sounds like it might be a good one, though I'm not sure exactly what you have in mind. Something like a yahoo or google group, or what?

I think your idea of a consistent message is solid also, and the draft you have looks like a good start. I think we should get feedback from the whole forum before we send it out though, since we will be speaking on behalf of the whole group - agreed?

Sean, your efforts in Southern California sound excellent, very much along the lines of a proposal I am working on up here in Oregon - I think it would be very helpful in organizing the movement if we can get state-wide umbrella groups established to encourage communication between local groups in every state, and hopefully help organize the delegate elections.

As far as getting ourselves organized to start contacting local groups around the country, maybe we can all start with finding out where they all are in our respective states, seeing if they have websites up or tracking down an alternate means of contact, and sending them a copy of Brit's introduction to the 99% working group action plan once that has been approved. After that I guess we might have a better idea how many of us are able to participate in this effort, divvy up the workload, and start the same process with groups in other states.

oregonstu

Back to top Go down

Unifying local OWS solidarity groups behind the 99% action plan Empty Re: National GA

Post by PDT Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:24 pm

brit0310 wrote:I have written a draft set of talking points for reaching out to local GAs. I plan to read this text at the Jacksonville GA on Saturday. Please review this document and provide improvements. I'm not attached to anything written here and mainly want to ensure the talking points are clear and accurate.

Who are we?
We are the 99% Declaration forum. Our goal is to unite all US Occupy GAs for the purpose of convening a national general assembly on July 4, 2012. The national general assembly will be endorsed by all GAs and will ratify a petition of grievances to be presented to the President, Congress and the Supreme Court. Our goal of completing the assembly endorsement before the 2012 presidential election necessitates our providing a useful draft of the petition beforehand. We are focused on rigorous debate of this draft using General Assembly guidelines on a web-based forum. We are planning to fine-tune this draft, and when consensus has been achieved, will present the draft to all local Occupy movements for additional review. We stresss we must move quickly as there are few days between today and the 2012 election.

What is our history?
Last October, 5 college students arrested on the Brooklyn Bridge, answered their lawyer's question, "What do you want out of this movement?. We want The 99% Declaration. The lawyer futilely championed the Declaration at the New York City General Assembly (OWS NYCGA) but higher priorities of food and park survival occupied the Occupiers. Seeking an audience in a Yahoo group, the lawyer put The 99% Declaration online. Enthusiastic response exploded into thousands of emails per day and one astute and technically savvy reader created the 99% Declaration forum for robust peer review.

Currently, we are independent of Occupy Wall Street (OWS) and NYCGA. The forum of draft reviewers has grown considerably including people from US, Canada, Norway, France, Singapore, Germany and many other disparate locales. All are welcome and all are encouraged to help shape who we are and move us forward.

Why are we contacting local GAs?
Although we are at an early stage regarding the review of the draft, we feel it is important to reach out to all
local GAs and establish formal contact and liaison. We want to use this liaison to keep all GAs informed of our activities and to receive guidance regarding the best way to achieve our goals, the goals of the 99%. Our forum, like all GAs, has open membership for the 99%. If anyone wants to directly participate in the current review of the draft, we encourage them to join our forum.

EDIT: Revised History

Brit, this is about as clear a definition as could be. That's why I'm reposting it. Nice work.

We originally had a user group on yahoo which was deleted by the previously mentioned lawyer.

I can offer a way to collect e-mails, if that is acceptable.

Let me know.

-Paul

PDT

Back to top Go down

Post by oregonstu Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:35 pm

You have my vote for that, Paul. My e mail address is oregonstu@yahoo.com

oregonstu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down