The 99% Delegation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An open letter to the NYCGA

3 posters

Go down

An open letter to the NYCGA Empty An open letter to the NYCGA

Post by emadera52 Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:53 pm

The following has been posted in appropriate groups on the new nycga.net site. Much of it may be of interest to the99delegation movement.

As a representative member of the complacent majority, I extend thanks to to you. Thanks to the efforts of those who have been willing and able to physically occupy Zuccatti Park and other spaces around the country, we have an opportunity to assist in addressing the most serious threat to our way of life since bombs fell at Pearl Harbor.

I realize that this letter is U.S. centric. That is doesn't mean the fundamental concept isn't applicable in other countries. Regardless of where change occurs, the complacent majority must be considered and invited to be a part of the movement.

You have created a disruption that, thanks in some part to poor decisions by a few NYCPD cops, is now making headlines and nightly newscasts. This disruption has opened the door to millions of us who are not by nature activists. We recognize that our government is broken, and you've helped us come to the realization that we must help fix it.

Activism is simply "an active effort to bring about change", and despite our couch potato tendencies we are ready to participate. The vast majority of us will never be in a position to do what you've done. We won't be joining you in physical occupation due to other obligations, and we won't be marching because the risk of arrest threatens jobs that we can't risk losing. None the less there is much we can do given some leadership. I know the movement has no leaders, but by observation it is clear that direction is provided by decisions of the General Assembly.

I honestly believe that without our participation the movement becomes a battle between the 1% who control our government and 1% who are willing and able to occupy spaces, march in the street and spend time in jail. I think we all know who wins that battle.

The door that has been opened can slam shut if the leadership fails to invite us to join. The purpose of this letter is to ask you to extend that invitation and to suggest how to bring out the activist in us, keeping in mind that activism requires a clearly stated call for change.

First and foremost, keep it simple. The laundry list of legitimate concerns seen on marcher's signs and on Declarations, both official and proposed, serve to confuse and divide. The invitation to join this movement needs to answer these simple questions. I've taken the liberty to include some proposed answers.

Who are we? We are the clear majority who have been moved to activism by the corruption that has nearly destroyed our way of life.

What do we want? Remove the corrupting influence of money on our government.

When do we want it? The sooner the better.

How will we get it? We will amend the constitution so that financial influence is prohibited and transparency (full disclosure) on the part all government officials is required.

Why do we want it? So that we will once more have a voice in addressing our many concerns by way of democratic process.

I respectfully submit this to the General Assembly for consideration.

Last edited by emadera52 on Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : highlight questions.)

emadera52

Back to top Go down

An open letter to the NYCGA Empty Re: An open letter to the NYCGA

Post by BrenW Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:27 pm

Couldn't have said it better myself. May I share this?

--Brenda Weber
BrenW
BrenW

Back to top Go down

Post by emadera52 Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:06 pm

BrenW wrote:Couldn't have said it better myself. May I share this?

--Brenda Weber

Brenda and anyone else, please feel free to spread this message. No attribution required, it's the message that's important.

---Que le vaya bien...Steve

emadera52

Back to top Go down

Post by BangTango Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:29 am

My response:
42% of American children live in or near poverty at a time when the rich are the richest they've ever been and corporations are making record profits. 50 million Americans can't get basic health care while drug companies are making record profits. 20 million Americans can't find a job at a time when infrastructure needs repair, schools need teachers, hospitals need doctors and nurses, etc. 600,000 Indians were imported to the US to replace IT workers.

I know you think you're this huge group of people called the complacent majority. That's why we've decided to act for you on your behalf. That's why we go to the general assemblies after we get off work and vote for you. This way you don't have to think, don't have to get up off the couch, and don't have to be uncomfortable. We've even set up a special livestream broadcast for you to watch and be entertained and when your heart-strings feel tugged and you feel you need to do something we evan have quick donation button and phone numbers of police and mayors you can call to complain to.

We apologize for the inconvenience while we change the world. Your new instructions from our leaders will be delivered as soon as possible. Have a nice day.

BangTango

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum